Let's discuss the Palm Treo 700W Running Windows Mobile

Discussion in 'Treo 700w and 700wx' started by cmeinck, Aug 11, 2005.

1. cmeinck

cmeinck Administrator

At this point, it might not even be called a Treo 670. That aside, it appears that we are going to see a Windows-based Treo in Q1 of 2006.Use this forum to discuss the Treo 670 and the Treo 700. Nothing like some hot rumors during the dog days of summer - especially when they turn out to be true.:thumbup:

-Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2005
  2. deejay

deejay New Member

Condidering that I love the Palm OS system, and ALL my hardware and software are based on the current system, I'm not too enthused about the new Windows hoopla. Leave them to pocket pc's, which have their own set of problems. I have a few Hp Ipaq pocket pc's, including the HP 5555, and I use those forums so I can keep up on the latest, and I can tell you that I would never give up my Treo 650. :cool:

JT

3. lulugirl896

lulugirl896 New Member

I had a TMobile Pocket PC Phone edition for a few months last year and it just wasn't the same. It made me realize that I really love Palm OS. I've loved it ever since my Handspring Visor days.
    Of all the rumors, I really hope that if there is a Windows Mobile Treo 6**, there is also a comparable Palm OS one.

4. cmeinck

cmeinck Administrator

My guess is that we'll see a "minor" improvements, but same form factor on the Windows version -- if indeed that's around the corner. I bet the real changes come with the new Palm Treo running the Palm OS. We'll see.. I haven't heard anything -- even in the rumor mill.:biggrin:

-Chris

5. lulugirl896

lulugirl896 New Member

Yep. Mainly, I hope they don't put out a Windows Mobile Treo with BT 1.2 then the palm version still with 1.1, or something like that!

6. xxpinballxx

xxpinballxx New Member

has anyone seen the pics over at engadget....
    its the treo 700W W for windows and that might mean that it will also come as the treo700P for palm......

Looks nice a bit thinner and the buttons seem a bit more smushed together......
    Be interested in the specs....
    They say 64mb and it hooked up to a network no problem wit ha SD wifi card....
    why they didn't include WiFi in the phone itself is beyond me....plus they said it seems the screen is only 240 x 240.....But they aren't sure.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.....

7. cmeinck

cmeinck Administrator

Wow.. here's the link to the now existant Treo 700W

240x240...can't be right. Not sure how I feel about the looks of this phone. It looks very "rigid" if that's the word. No icons on the menu/home buttons.

I'm shocked to hear this is a 700W as opposed to the rumored 670.

8. xxpinballxx

xxpinballxx New Member

I like the landscape mode....it does look really "rigid" maybe a little heavy duty....

I think the resolution is wrong...can't see them going backwards......

hope they do come out with the 700P so all my apps will not go to waste.

9. lulugirl896

lulugirl896 New Member

Yes, definitely rigid looking. It looks like Palm Treo's prissy sister! I think it's because of the square keys. I cannot believe no built-in wi-fi! Anyway, I hope the 700P also has 64MB of memory!!!!
    Is the screen darker or is it just me?

10. cmeinck

cmeinck Administrator

It also looks to be a bit smaller width wise compared to the 650. The microphone looks to have been moved to the botton.

That would make sense if they are trying to reach more corporate customers. As much as I despise the Blackberry, it is a durable little piece of crap.:biggrin:

11. cmeinck

cmeinck Administrator

I agree, that's one thing I like about the LifeDrive.

-Chris

12. xxpinballxx

xxpinballxx New Member

do you have a lifedrive chris....i have never played around with one of those yet.....

I am trying to get my hands on one just to mess around and see what its all about.....

13. cmeinck

cmeinck Administrator

Not for me. A friend of mine has it - he runs LifeDrive forum. He likes it...but definitely not as much as his Treo. I'd like to see parts of the Lifedrive incorporated into the Treo and I like the overall look of it (other than the size).

14. cmeinck

cmeinck Administrator

I took that opportunity to check in on his forum. It looks like he "had a LifeDrive".:eek:hmy: It was crushed by truck!

15. lulugirl896

lulugirl896 New Member

That's terrible!! I can only imagine how crappy he must be feeling! and he has 4GB of reconstructing to do :shocked:

16. lulugirl896

lulugirl896 New Member

My uncle just got one- upgrade from the Tungsten line. I checked it out for a bit, but I felt no LD envy. If there was a program (maybe a combo of Card Export and Docs to Go) that would let you mount the Treo as a HD, and we had a 4GB memory card available- it wouldn't even be a contest!

17. cmeinck

cmeinck Administrator

I just got off the phone with him. He said it was one the front tire hit it and then one of those double back tires finished the job. He said it was in pieces. I felt real bad. He carries his PSP, iPod, Treo and his LifeDrive. It figures, the $550 LifeDrive gets pumbled. :eek:hmy:

-Chris

18. narbeauchamp

narbeauchamp New Member

I will probably sit this one out.Of course I would love more memory,but I also would've liked built in WiFi.If the display is indeed 240 x 240,why downgrade.As for the memory,64MB with a Palm OS device is really something,but with WM devices,practically speaking most of that is being used by the OS-so in the end,its not that much of an upgrade.

I am generally not too keen on PPCs,my partner has a hp6315,and I've had a chance to play with it,and I've never liked the thing.Also,I have an HP5455,which in the nearly three years I've had it,has barely been used-where as I've had palms since the first one came out,stopped at the Vx-having fallen in love with it,debated upgrading and never did.I finally stopped using my Vx when I bought my Treo.I love my Treo and I love the Palm OS,and even more importantly the time and money spent over the years on applications that suit my needs.I even recently discovered that I had a 180 (found the receipt amongst old emails-and am going to search my retired gadgets to see if I can find it).

I considered getting the Life Drive,I like the landscape mode,but there's not much reason to justify the expense.Even with 2GB cards on my Treo,I still have the ability to carry more data,so a Life Drive *might* be overkill (for now at least ).

It does look a bit less fragile,probably trying to appeal to the corporate types-with the exception of my last BB which was stolen,I still have almost each original BB that I've owned over the years-they are practically indestructable.

I know people who have been considering Treos,andif they go into a store that has both a windows version and a Palm OS version,many are more likely to choose the windows version.

19. lulugirl896

lulugirl896 New Member

Unless I'm mistaken, the 4GB in the Life Drive is for file storage- you cannot use it for applications.

20. mkderm

mkderm New Member

what about the Q phone?

Do you all really think that the 700w will be able to compete with the motorola Q phone? Just read that Motorola plans to release the Q phone early- around Christmas.