Playing with a Pre tonight

Discussion in 'Palm Pre' started by artap99, May 1, 2009.

1. artap99

artap99 New Member

Hey guys, a friend that does 'online electronic product reviews' has his hands on a Pre and is letting me play with it tonight. If you have any questions about the phone, ask them and I'll do my best to find answers and post later. I should be going over in a couple of hours (7pm EST). Excitement.

2. zeejay

zeejay New Member

Good man check out the whether youtube works i'm looking forward to that

3. hopper84

hopper84 New Member

-is so jealous- ... let me know if you taser him and run off with the pre. that'd be a nice story and assuage my jealousy a bit.

4. artap99

artap99 New Member

I'll be sure to injure him no matter what, just for you. He doesn't get to keep the Pre, though. It is just the first time that Palm is letting them keep the phone for more than fifteen minutes.

5. hopper84

hopper84 New Member

I would appreciate that very much lol.

6. BlueCoyote

BlueCoyote New Member

Hey Artap99 - you lucky SOB - i want to know how the Battery life is with all those apps running; what are the best apps on it; how's the IM feature; what do you think of the O.S. and overall anyway for you to compare your Pre expereince to another phone or OS experience so we can kind of get a feel for what to expect? Thanks man, Blue.

7. adesilva

adesilva New Member

what i really want to see is how the os is able to handle the multitasking. I noticed a few times during the videos i saw that the os seemed to lag a little bit when 3/4 things were open i was hoping that it would be able to handle more than that before slowing down. Im also very interested in knowing how the instant messenger client works. Can you see away messages/people being idle/status messages/etc.

8. hopper84

hopper84 New Member

true but a lot of those videos were taken when the pre was still in beta phases. the final ROM is finished and from what the developers have said it multitasks wonderfully.

9. adesilva

adesilva New Member

oh ya i def. have taken that into account im mostly asking how far along things have come.

10. artap99

artap99 New Member

Kind of sparse for applications. I haven't gotten to touch it much so far, but it isn't the strongest build quality.
    Keep in mind that my phone right now is an Instinct and my work phone is an iPhone. I'll try and compare it as much as I can to other phones so that people have reference points.

Definitely the best phone for Sprint. That isn't saying much, as there aren't many heavy contenders. The phone gets a lot right, but is missing a few features that I would like to see.
    The absence of an on screen keyboard is notable. The keyboard doesn't travel very fast and it is crowded for my thumbs. Overall, it isn't as satisfying as a Blackberry keyboard.
    The phone itself is noticeably plasticky. I don't hate the build quality, but I think this could be improved by simply added the touchstone plate on the back to add some traction. There is a good weight to the phone and it isn't too bulky.
    The speed isn't fantastic, but it is iPhone grade. Things take time to open. Transitions aren't always immediate. The usual issues. Multitasking is nice, and I can see the gesture area becoming both useful and cumbersome. My old Treos both broke a few months in...so I can only imagine the problems that this phone will have.
    Back to multitasking, there is no noticeable slowdown with more applications open. Everything performs very well. Contextual cards like video and websites slow down transition performance in the card menu when you turn the phone, but that's about it.
    The web browser is nice. No flash yet, but that was to be expected. It performs quickly and renders well.

11. jhoff80

jhoff80 New Member

Any idea whether you can pick and choose which Facebook contacts get imported?

And is there any way to set AIM/Gtalk to offline for when you don't want to be contacted but still have the phone on?

12. artap99

artap99 New Member

It does. It is comparable to the Instinct's version. It opens in a video window and is a bit shaky. This might be Sprint's regulation like they had with the Instinct when it first came out. Youtube wasn't working, neither was visual voicemail. Which isn't working for this, but it does have it.

Battery life is good. Definitely on par with a Treo so far. We have made a couple of calls and played videos without there being much of a hit. But we won't have it long enough to really find out how the battery holds up.
    I'm not sure about the best app, but the absence of an alarm clock is a bit disconcerting. I use my cell phone as an alarm.
    The IM/text thing is interesting. It will take a bit of getting used to, but the layout is very intuitive. Especially the alert system. And I love having real email like I do on the iPhone. And MMS is wonderful. I am glad Sprint did away with that.
    From what I have seen, the OS isn't that bad. Definitely not as user friendly as the iPhone, but easy enough to navigate. It's like a cross between a Palm OS and OSX Mobile.
    I wish that the search would search everything rather than just application names and meta data, though.

It handles it well once the application is up and running. With more applications open or depending what is going on in the application, getting back to the cards might be a bit laggy. But aside from the it works well. I enjoy the swipe to quit action.
    You can tell when people are away, I'll check for the idle and status things.

13. artap99

artap99 New Member

Facebook isn't working for some reason. I keep trying to see if it will change anything if I change my phone number, but we can't get it working. But yes, you can turn your IM clients off.

Oh, and doing screenshots is definitely a two hands with your phone on the table sort of action unless you have a strong right index finger.

14. artap99

artap99 New Member

Okay, I'm back at home now. That's it for my pre-Pre experience. I was able to touch it twice and will try to answer any other questions if I can.

15. AldoJr

AldoJr New Member

Did you take a picture? I mean that would have been cool right, anyone here would have taken a pic come on show us .

16. artap99

artap99 New Member

Of course I did. I just can't show it because he is under an NDA and could lose his job if I do. I'm definitely showing my coworkers, though :laugh3:

17. AldoJr

AldoJr New Member

Could he not lose his job by you talking about it i mean would not be that hard to track you down. So then showing a picture of the pre against anything which is not you or this person will not get you in trouble shoot if it were me i would show it it would be all over the web tomorrow. Happens all the time and would be cool to hear everything pre forum member spotted the pre in public. Well welll.

18. artap99

artap99 New Member

It would be pretty difficult to track him down. You may go ahead and try if you would like. Also, as an infrequent contributor to his site I was allowed access :)

19. AldoJr

AldoJr New Member

I think we are all getting craazy for this phone with the release date. Anything about the date or maybe a wink wink . I'm in Pennsylvania and trust me ain't that much news of anything just hoping some big city folks seen some advertisement on the street. That is the reason i want to see a pic to keep me motivated eh.

20. artap99

artap99 New Member

Nothing on a release date. They told his company that they would have a review model in the coming weeks. The usually keep those for six weeks. So that is a bit foreboding. Then again, he had an iPhone for almost a month and didn't tell me before because of an NDA. So who knows if this is his review version.