Which Cingular Data Plan are you using?

Discussion in 'Cingular' started by cmeinck, Apr 29, 2005.

?

Which Cingular Data Package are you using?

1. PDA / EDGE package

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. MediaWorks

21 vote(s)
    42.0%
  3. Other package

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. Not using a data package

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. rkmarthy

rkmarthy New Member

Welcome to Treo club. I am not sure of Mondu.

You can certainly access yahoo mail (http://mobile.yahoo.com) and it'll come under your PDA plan.

2. lulugirl896

lulugirl896 New Member

I called yesterday on an unrelated issue and the rep actually offered me the 19.99 MediaNet plan. I had fought so hard for it last March that I thought it was a moot point. I doublechecked later in the evening and yep, I've now got the unlimited plan for 19.99. Go figure!

3. Shady

Shady New Member

I visited a Cingular store yesterday and spoke to a rep that I've known for awhile.
    He said he can put me on the $20 plan but he's not supposed to for PDA phones.
    But he said if you get to excessive on data, Cingular will review your usage and can automatically switch you to PDA plan at $40 Or even bill you at some rate per KB. That would be dangerous in that you can rack up a couple hundred dollars that way by using MobiTV or surfing the web a lot.

I'm still confused.

4. GnarleyMarley87

GnarleyMarley87 New Member

I just ordered my 650 refurb from cingular.com today. I logged into my account and tried to sign up for the Media Net Unlimited, but there is no option for it. I have Media Net 10mb, Media Net 5mb, Media Net 1mb, Media Works, and Media Basics?? I'm confused.Huh?

Is Media Works for $19.99 the one that offers unlimited web surfing?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  5. GnarleyMarley87

Nevermind. The option isn't available through the "my account" feature, but I called 611 and the lady had my media net unlimited set up in less than 2 minutes.:)

6. GnarleyMarley87

Man, I've been surfing the web all day on my treo even though I have been in front of my pc most of the day. This is freaking awesome!:thumbup:

Anyone know how to like save a picture that you see online? Or is that even possible?

7. Stillrockin

Stillrockin Smart Phone Idiot

I believe I posted this story somewhere on these forums before, but I actually used Sprints pricing a bargaining chip in the purchase of my Treo. I told the rep that I wouldn't buy the Treo from Cingular because PDA connect @ 40.00 a month just was crazy, and that since Sprint was offering unlimited for $15.00, I would probably go ahead and buy from them. She pointed out that their unlimited Media net plan was $20.00 but that she wasn't supposed to sign Treo customers up on that. Long story short, I was walking out of the store when she stopped me and said, if you will let me sign you up for unlimited Media net on your old phone, to keep me out of trouble, then I will sell you the Treo.

I agreed!

8. ArNoGsEeL

ArNoGsEeL New Member

hey after reading all the posts about how it's not a difference from the $39.99 unlimited PDA plan to the MediaNet unlimited $19.99 plan... i switched :D

i'm just double checking to make sure that if i use the "web" icon that comes with the treo 650... is that ok? will i be charged for it? because for the $39.99 PDA unlimited, i've always used that one.

9. Stillrockin

The Web Icon is the one I use . . . . . . :biggrin:

10. ArNoGsEeL

ArNoGsEeL New Member

thanks! if i get charge for it, i'll come after you! jk :)

11. Stillrockin

My real name is Chris and I live in NY and run this web site :geek:

All jokes aside, I am on medianet unlimited with a Treo and have had no problems. Other than the fact, that Cingular's web data never seems to work, I promise I have run up some huge data rates in the last few months. I am getting about 100 emails a day from 5 accounts, and since installing IM+, I have been wearing out the instant messaging thing! Then I grab news feeds all the time, and update my weatherman program daily. No problems with Cingular . . . I think your safe!

But just in case, my REAL, real name is osama bin laden and you can find me on the border of pakistan. Just ask any soldier and they can show you the cave I am in . . . .

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  12. ArNoGsEeL

ArNoGsEeL New Member

speaking of, i've purchased AIM for my treo when i was on the PDA $39.99 plan... so mediaNet unlimited covers that too apparently?

o.t. why do you have two names?

13. Stillrockin

Since instant messaging programs (aol, icq, yahoo, MSN, etc) act a lot like IMAP email (instant push) and use a regular net connection, yes, you are completely covered for using your Treo without additional costs! However, Instant messages sent through your phone number are still charged per message. As long as your using your net connection, you will be paying per month, and not per message . . . Hope this helps . . .

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  14. freezingprocess

freezingprocess New Member

Just out of curiosity, what email program are you using? I am currently trying out Snappermail.

15. Stillrockin

I Use ChatterEmail and love it! http://www.chatteremail.com all mail and attachments can reside on the card. Its very customizable, to my 4 main email accounts (can hold up to 8) but what I think sets it apart is the summary screen. One screen where all email can be viewed. I have heard great things about snapper, but I really do love chatter as its really a great program for managing mail with the Treo. You can set up an imap account through a 3rd party for free for 6 months, or if you have an imap account, just as in versamail, it will support it. You can customize each account you set up with different colors and different alarms/vibrations.

For gmail, I didn't have to assign port numbers like you have to do in versamail. All I had to do was check SSL for both incoming and outgoing mail and it was configured . . . When I was shopping for a new email application, I had every intention of trying snapper, but after a week into the Chatter Trial, I knew I had to have it!

by the way, the developer is only set up for paypal. This wasn't a problem for me, but as popular as it is, not everyone has an account . . .

16. Shady

Shady New Member

I have been a die hard Snapper person for a few years. But this ChatterEmail looks really good. I checked out website and it only got 2 of 5 stars from 172 users. Any idea why it hasn't done well on this rating?

17. Stillrockin

Actually Shady, I have no idea why! Can only speak from my personal experience. And that is only for about 7 weeks now!

18. freezingprocess

freezingprocess New Member

I know this question has been asked to death, and this may not even be the right place for it, but I have ask: Does Chattermail push? Is there any other option than Blackberry connect, when and IF that ever happens?

19. Stillrockin

I would recommend that you read their web site. They offer true push in a couple of different ways. You can sign up through a 3rd party mail site that is free for 6 months. Then you can have any of your POP mail forwarded to that account. Or Chatter now has their own IMAP server . . I think its $3.00 a month, but check me on that. Or if you already have an IMAP provider, you can configure chatter recieve it from your IMAP server.

I don't have IMAP set up, but am considering trying the free trial thing like I descibed above. This guy at work told me its like going from Black and white TV to High Def!

20. Stillrockin

OK, I tried it myself

OK, not very scientific, but I have tried it. I set up an account through the Treo to Everyone.net. That took all of about 1 mintue! By the way, past the 6 month Trial, its 1.75 a month. So basically its $20.00 a year.
    Then I went to my email accounts to forward all of them to my new email address!
    :) @emailtreo.com :)

Testing from all 4 of these accounts resulted in the email showing up on my Treo in under a minute! About 35 seconds for one account was the longest wait! Pretty amazing stuff! Here again, I was able to give this a command of "summary" and this account's mail also appears on one page. Pretty amazing stuff!