650: How to transfer, synch and/or back-up text message archive (SMS)

Discussion in 'General Treo Discussion' started by webitor, Apr 18, 2006.

1. webitor

webitor New Member

Hi all,

I have to give my old Treo 650 back to my employer and have bought a new 650 to for my personal use. I wonder if there's a way (or a 3rd party app that can help me) to transfer my SMS/text message archive to the PC or directly to my new 650?

Any help would be lovely,

Webitor :)

2. kdallen

kdallen Moderator

If you're going to be giving up the Treo completely, I'd recommend getting a backup app like BackupMan, BackupBuddy or one of the others. Backup your Treo to your SD card. That way, you should (I believe) be able to restore your new Treo from your card. I think the way to go about that is to load the backup app onto your Treo and save the .prc file to your PC. Load the backup app to your new Treo, insert the card and do a restore. That should do it.

There's probably some easier way involving a hotsync/userID change but I'm by no means a Palm guru. Someone else here can probably give better advice.

3. kdallen

kdallen Moderator

Or an even easier way (if you're not worried about everything else on your 650) might be to just copy the message databases to your PC to transfer to your new Treo.

4. bierreuno

bierreuno New Member

An even easier way to store view and export your Treo SMS's into your pc is Treodesktop: a new desktop software (available whitin a month) at www.treodesktop.com. Browser version of Treodesktop is currently available for free.

Of course you can easily transfer your existing database into your new Treo.
    The SMS/MMS database file, on Treo 650, is "Messages_Database.pdb". You can just hotsync this file on your new Treo, then all your old messages will be available.

Bruno Naglieri
    Rome - Italy

5. vins.vig

vins.vig New Member

Ciao Bruno,
    can i send message directly from TreoDesktop?
    tks
    Vins

6. bierreuno

bierreuno New Member

Sorry... Treodesktop can only retrieve sms/phonecall from your Treo and store/manage/export it into your pc.
    Pls visit my site www.treodesktop.com
    Final release will be available in one/two weeks.

Regards

Bruno Naglieri

7. Stillrockin

Stillrockin Smart Phone Idiot

8. bvanderbyl

bvanderbyl New Member

Transfering "Message_data.pdb" file to my PC

I am having trouble getting the latest Message_data.pdb file to transfer to my PC via the sync operation. There is a file in the backup file called Message_data.pdb but it is an old file created in 2006. How do I get the latest SMS messages from my phone or the Message_data.pdb to transfer?

Thanks

Brian Vanderbyl

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  9. treodesktop

treodesktop New Member

Hi Brian, even if I never heard that strange filename "Message_data.pdb" on a Treo device (are you sure youre talking about a Treo?) this forum is not the best place for help desk... please contact me at info treodesktop dot com, and I will be glad to help you in solving this problem.

Sincerely,

Bruno Naglieri - Rome (Italy)
    Treodesktop developer

10. drsanjayagarwal

drsanjayagarwal New Member

Hi
    I have Pal Treo 680 with software ver 1.04.
    I have couple of problems
    1.I need to backup my messages to PC and restore them back to Handphone after hard reset
    2.My phone suddenly looses connectivity in a strong signal zone till I restart the phone
    3.Is it wise to change my software ver to 2.12

thanx
    sanjay

11. bierreuno

bierreuno New Member

@sanjay

you don't need Treodesktop to do it, the Palm update process will automatically restore your data (msgs and call log too) on the device just when the update step has finish.

12. kiki19

kiki19 New Member

the software is good enough,but the price is not cheap enough,i know another website where have the same software but it can help us save 10%
    http://www.softwarewikipedia.com/index.php/Godswmobile

13. cobby034

cobby034 New Member

3GMobile SMS + Contacts Backup is so powerful
    You can have a try
    With 3GMobile SMS + Contacts Backup, you can:
    Backup SMS Messages for windows mobile into txt file or .xml backup file and save onto your computer
    Restore SMS Messages from a .xml backup file
    Support all SMS default folders (Inbox, Outbox, Drafts, Sent Items, Deleted Items) and custom folders.
    Export your outlook contacts into txt file or .xml backup file format and save onto your pc
    Edit outlook contacts info on computer directly
    Restore outlook contacts from the .xml backup file
    Support unlimited outlook contacts and SMS backup/restore.
    Fast backup and restore speed
    Fully Support Windows Mobile 5/6.0/6.1/6.5
    Easy to use
    https://www.3gmobiletool.com/