Broken hinge

Discussion in 'Treo 180 / 180G' started by jfamor, Aug 30, 2004.

1. jfamor

jfamor New Member

Hi I´m Javier frome Chile, I bougth a Treo 180, and after 6 month of using it the rigth hinge get broke; there´s anyone how know or hear something like that??

2. cmeinck

cmeinck Administrator

Javier-
    This was a problem with the 180 and the 300. I would contact PalmOne and see if they'll do anything for you. I broke the lid on my Treo 300. It was after almost 2 years of service, so it just went in the closet. However, it still worked if I used hands-free. I've heard places sell replacement lids, but I'm sorry I don't know any more info.

Good luck.

3. anthea.tillyer

anthea.tillyer New Member

Try ebay

I have two suggestions:

1. Go to Ebay and buy a replacement cover (they're very cheap).

2. On Ebay, buy an old (non-working) 180 or 180g and cannibalize it.

You can easily replace the cover by yourself (I've done it - twice!). For some instructions, go to http://palmtops.about.com/b/a/121024.htm?terms=treo 180 battery

One thing I advise you is to make sure that you disassemble the phone very slowly and over a large bowl or a light-colored cloth made of velvet or some other "clingy"material that won't let the tiny screws roll around.

You will need one of those tiny phillips head screw drivers (they come in sets for working on computers). I think they might also come in those sets for working on eye-glasses.

Before you start, take a close look at your phone. Study everythng, and (preferably) take pictures of each stage.

There is one very short little metal roll (about .2 cm in diameter and about 1 cm long) that always falls out and often gets lost. This little bar belongs in the top left of the phone and you have to put it back before you close up.

It really is easy and it takes about 10 minutes.

Anthea

4. cmeinck

cmeinck Administrator

Do they sell replacement covers for 300's. I could bring mine back to life.

-Chris

5. anthea.tillyer

anthea.tillyer New Member

Broken hinge - the 300

Chris:

I am 99.9% certain that the cover for the 300 is the same as the cover for the 180 and the 270 (the 180 and the 270 are defintely the same). ACtually, now I am 100% sure. If you go to this link in Ebay (and there are tons of others as well; this is just the first that came up), you will see what I mean:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=108649&item=5810573927

Good luck!
    Anthea