Hot sync loop HELP!!

Discussion in 'General Treo Discussion' started by Blancosito, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Blancosito

Blancosito New Member

Okay my treo 650 is a cingular unlocked gsm. It has been working great but is now useless and i need to fix it if possible. When ever i start it up it immediaely goes into a hot sync loop. whenever i hit cancel it returns to hot sync mode. If i can put the key guard on as soon as i start it up it wont go into the hot sync loop, but its useless becasue as soon as i undo the guard it starts it right back up? please help and offer any advice.

2. Stillrockin

Stillrockin Smart Phone Idiot

If it were me, I would go ahead and perform a hard reset. Have you installed anything new lately? You said that everything had been fine until lately. Just wondering what might have changed to suddenly cause you the problems. If you have added something new in the last few days, I would remove it in the back up folder before syncing everything back to the Treo.

3. jtland

jtland New Member

Same problem

Yes, I have the same problem with a Cingular Treo 650. Resets do not solve the issue. I'll call Cingular and will post any solution, but am fearful it's a "send back."

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  4. Stillrockin

Please do let us know what you find out jtland.

5. jtland

jtland New Member

Sorry to say - no solution

I'm sorry to report I found no solution. Neither Cingular or Palm could help. After returning to Cingular from Palm the fix was a new Treo 650 @ $425.00.

6. Stillrockin

Well, glad your back up and running but sorry it took another $425 to solve the problem. :thumbdown

Honestly, as long as I have been a Cingular customer, if they couldn't do me a better deal than a new price, I believe I would leave them for Sprint or Verizon just to spite them . . . .

After all, you can get a 700P/W for $125 less . . . . Heres to hoping the new 650 is trouble free for years to come!!!

7. jtland

jtland New Member

I have not yet returned to Treo

I agree - it's not worth $425. I certainly did enjoy the Treo 650 while it was working.

8. ajdele

ajdele New Member

I just bought a treo 650 on ebay and am having the same problem. I have asked questions of the seller but dont expect to find a solution along those lines, will probably only be able to leave appropriate feedback. Regardless, I would like to be able to fix the problem and keep the divice.

Here's where I am so far. I have determined that the unit is getting a button input that tells it someone is pushing the hotsync button on the cable. Easy way to confirm this: in the "Prefs" application, under "Buttons" change the hotsync button response to another application besides "Hotsync." I changed mine to open the "Phone" application, immediately after turning the unit off, the phone screen popped up. This at least confirms what the palm thinks is happening to it.

I have also done the hard reset thing and the problem persisted, even before putting any software or data back on the divice.

A few strange things (in my case) that lead me to believe that the problem (and possible solution) are not so simple. First, the ghost response does not work the same as the actual button response. Plug the cable in and hold down the button, hotsync screen comes up, cancel the hotsync (while still holding the button) and see what happens. Nothing. It does not insistently pop back on trying to hotsync. Mine also seems to wait random periods of time before coming back on. At times it will go for several hours, then go a whole day coming back on a second after the power-timer has shut it off.

Last night I opened the casing and cleaned it out extensivly, there was a lot of dust and small hairs in it. After cleaning this out the problem persisted. I was so disgusted with it I took out the battery (so I wouldnt have to see it flashing all night), SD and sim cards to use them elsewhere. Today I put the battery back in and ..... its not ghost-inputing anymore. I even hotsynced and its fine. I am going to keep my sim and SD cards out right now and try to use the unit as if it were just an organizer. Its been powered for a couple hours now and no indication of the old problem.

So now I am wondering if it is something on my SD or SIM that is causing a strange conflict.

I am scouring the internet and will post this where I can hoping for help. Please post if you are having a similar experience.

9. Stillrockin

I think the next thing I would do if it were me, would be to get the SIM in it. Also, if your SIM is an older one, you might consider upgrading to the 2g sim card. I am told the smaller memory sims cause problems with the 650. If that SIM works with no issues, I would plug in another SD card. If it still works, I would probably toss the other SD in the Garbage . .:embarassed:

Good Luck and keep us in the loop. I am curious as to if it is the Sim or SD card . .

10. alexcoupe

alexcoupe New Member

my hotsync loop fixed

My Treo was stuck on an endless hotsync loop without it being connected to cable. I researched and from different sites it was pointing to pins being shorted were you plug your cable. I looked at mine and did not see anything. I also cleaned the treo in the contacts and inside the unit with no help. I am a pc tech and started to troubleshoot as if I were working on a machine and cleaned the treo leaving the default apps. The device did not hotsync after that. So I determined that it was a software conflict. I installed all apps seperately creating a new hotsync profile on the pc with no loop. I read somewhere that corrupt contact files in you palmone folder on machine gets placed on treo after first hotsync. So I moved my contact files stored in C:\Program Files\palmOne\(Profile name)\Backup and hotsync fixing issue.

I hope this helps anyone having this issue.

11. rita888

rita888 New Member

I have this same problem, as soon as my screen turns off, it tries to hot sync automatically. I can cancel and it becomes normal, but every time the screen turns off, same thing. I want to erase hot sync from my applications list, I have three choices:

1. HsSysResource68k
    2. HSTraceDatabase
    3. HSTraceDatabaseHead

Any idea which application is the Hot Sync one? Any help would be great, thank you.

- rita

12. alexcoupe

alexcoupe New Member

Hey rita,

What I did was to this location on my computerC:\Program Files\palmOne\what ever your hotsync name is\Backup and I moved these files that I listed below this message to a different location. I did a zero out reset to remove everything from your treo. If you search this site you will find info on this. After you erase your treo you hotsync your treo and everything should work. The only thing is that you will have to manually input your address again.

I hope this helps.

AddressCitiesDB.PDB
    AddressCompaniesDB.PDB
    AddressCountriesDB.PDB
    AddressDB_us.PDB
    AddressStatesDB.PDB
    AddressTitlesDB.PDB

13. fleo

fleo New Member

14. katiegemmill

katiegemmill New Member

my palm centro was looping the hotsync prompt and after everything i read online i thought there was no hope. i took into a sprint store today and they said that is caused by moisture in the usb port. they replaced my phone, even though i didnt have the equipment replacement program.

15. BCVolkert

BCVolkert New Member

My Treo 650 was stuck on the endless loop trying to sync with the cradle (regardless of whether or not it was in the cradle). I tried all the resets and finally a hard reset seemed to take, but the the same old endless loop of wanting to sync resumed. I left the battery out for a few hours and then blasted the contacts at the bottom of the 650. The problem was over. It now syncs, makes, and recieves calls. My problem was probably caused by a day of yard work in my pocket that may have resulted in dirt or sweat in the contacts. The contact cleaner seemed to do the trick and did not seem to harm the plastic or finishes.

FYI my phone is from Cingular. I don't know if it is locked or unlocked. I suspect it is locked.

16. Ruminson

Ruminson New Member

Yes, I have the same problem with a Cingular Treo 650. Resets do not solve the issue. I'll call Cingular and will post any solution, but am fearful it's a "send back."

17. StuckOnPalmOS

StuckOnPalmOS New Member

Somebody else wrote that it was caused by moisture in the pins.
    It just started happening to my Treo755p.
    I left it in a twin cupholder with a cup with condensation.
    I'm sure it is due to the condensation. Hopefully a blow-dryer will help.

18. PLJ

PLJ New Member

Palm Treo Hot Sync Loop_ hard reset does not fix it

:embarassed:I too had a problem with my Treo getting caught in a never ending Hot Sync loop! After exahusting all options- soft reset, warm reset, re-installing the Palm software, upgrading my palm software, I finally did a hard reset. I temporarily thought I corrected the problem when my phone was in "organiser" mode- but as soon as I activated blue tooth or put the actual "phone" on, it would immediately go into hot sync mode. Even the hard reset which is upposed to fix any software related problem did not help. The device still went into hot sync mode. :angry:After several hard resets, I had my treo replaced. At the verizon store, I was informed that you sould only have to do a hard reset once, and if the phone still doesn't work, it needs to be replaced. Obviously this is a problem instrinsic to this phone model. That explains why it was on "clearance" for $49.99

This problem resembles a "virus" that starts on the palm desktop software and it eventually corrupts the phone to the point of no return. Perhaps it is a defective file- but the end result is the same- the phone must be replaced!

Based on reading this forum, I have noticed that some individuals have had to reolace their phone three or moe times. My only suggestion is this: if you are unfortunate to be stuck with this phone and have it replaced, then you need to uninstall your palm sotware and reinstall it. Individually find the files to back up your address, calandar and memo data- if you can identify & find where they are stored and wipe out everything else. You will need to start from scratch.

19. PLJ

PLJ New Member

Hot Sync Mode Loop! Cannot be fixed!!! Buyer Beware

After exahusting all options when I had the hot sync loop problem: - soft reset, warm reset, re-installing the Palm software, upgrading my palm software, I finally did a hard reset. Even the hard reset which is supposed to fix anyproblem did not help. The device still went into hot sync mode over and over and over again. :angry:After several hard resets, I had my treo replaced. This is a problem instrinsic to this phone model. That explains why it was on "clearance" for $49.99

This problem resembles a "virus" that starts on the palm desktop software and it eventually corrupts the phone to the point of no return. Perhaps it is a defective file- but the end result is the same- the phone must be replaced!

My only suggestion is this: if you are unfortunate to be stuck with this phone you need to have it replaced if it is under warrety. Then you need to uninstall your palm sotware and reinstall it. Individually find the files to back up your address, calandar and memo data- if you can identify & find where they are stored and wipe out everything else.

I would not reccomend thsi phone to anyone. Obviously this flaw is the reason why the phone was on clearance in the first place.:embarassed:

20. StuckOnPalmOS

StuckOnPalmOS New Member

Could not fix it: New Phone

[FONT=&quot]Well, I have to give credit to Sprint. They sent out a replacement phone and it arrived right away. They said when your phone goes out for this reason, they will replace it for 1 year after you bought it. After that one year, probably with the insurance company with a huge deductible because it is a "smart phone." I'm not sure that I would replace it if there is a big deductible. What if the hotsync [hardware?] error strikes that one?

[/FONT]