Text Message Legnth

Discussion in 'Centro Software' started by Uthor, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Uthor

Uthor New Member

Is there a way to increase the maximum text message length from 160 characters? I've hit that wall a couple times with messages that I thought were pretty short. I'm not looking to get a novel writen, but at least 200 characters would be a big improvement.

2. benky

benky New Member

In reading through the users guide (yuck) I was not able to find anything stating the ability to increase beyond the 160 characters. I agree, I've been halted by this too and it's annoying.

3. Uthor

Uthor New Member

Bah. I like my full sentences and proper punctuation. A proper keyboard for once is letting me get a little verbose.

4. cmeinck

cmeinck Administrator

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of both the Treo and the Centro. I'm not sure if it's carrier related or device related. See what happens when you get a QWERTY keyboard.:wink:

5. Uthor

Uthor New Member

Not just the QWERTY keyboard. I did the same thing with my "dumb" phone. It just took way longer and I got bored sooner, so the messages weren't as long.

I think the way AT&T/Cingular handled it was splitting the message into two. That was nice.

6. blueonblackstrat

blueonblackstrat New Member

I'm not sure what O/S the Centro has, but with my Q, it split it in two, that's a windows based operating system...

So being that it's the Q.... it must be a windows feature...

7. sarahjane936

sarahjane936 New Member

SMS text messages are Short Messages. The limitaion is universal. My Q use to let you type more than 160, but it split the message into multiple messages based on the number of characters.