Treo Security

Discussion in 'Treo 700p' started by shortyrock, Dec 28, 2006.

1. shortyrock

shortyrock New Member

I am looking for a security app that will hide certain applications, or at least password protect them, specificly I don't want someone to pick up my phone and launch my IM program or EMAIL or web browser. Is there anything like this?

Thanks.

2. jreagles16

jreagles16 New Member

First, WELCOME TO ET!!!!!!!

Second you could use either teallock, secureapp, or the built in secuirty app on your device. (there are other 3rd party apps out there, but these are the must referred)

Third I also recomend getting a "posion pill" app. What this does it your device is stolen or lost you can either have it locked out, reformatted, and etc. All you have to do is send a text message to your phone.

I recommend looking into bluepill or teallock for one of those apps. I think they are a must have. Your not just secure if your device is password protected. Cuz it can only take a thief about maybe a week max with the right software to crack your password and enter your device. Once he/she is in then he can get all of your personal information. He could probably get your social secuirty # (with a little hacking and some phones calls). I'm being a little sarcastic. But this could happen. Depending on the password I think it could take up to about 3,000 years (I think) or something like that to crack a password that has at least 14 characters (I think). (that is including alphabet, numbers, and punction marks.)

I don't want to scare you or anything, so sorry if I did.

3. benjie

benjie New Member

I use both Blue Pill and TealLock 6. TealLock 6 is the most configurable security app available at this time. You can configure it to lock the phone entirely, just the phone, a specific application, et cetera. There are bunches and bunches of options.

Ben

4. shortyrock

shortyrock New Member

Thanks, I'll try tealock again, installed it and it seemed very confusing and i never opened the docs, guess i'll have to do some reading :)

5. benjie

benjie New Member

I have not read the docs, though an experience level makes a difference. Reading the docs though is really much easier than looking at the options, enabling and testing them to find out what they do. In short though, TealLock is an excellent program - take a look at their beta - very, very stable.

Ben

6. shortyrock

shortyrock New Member

OK, I have teallock working, and it is a very good security app, it locks down the treo very well and now no one can use my email, im+, sms, or any other app I choose, while still leaving everything else operational.

One thing I would like is the ability to hide an entire category of launcher buttons, so no one would even know the protected apps were installed, because if you click on one it brings up the teallock password screen. This might even be in Teallock and I have not realized it yet, if anyone knows please let me know.

Thanks,

ShortyRock

7. shortyrock

shortyrock New Member

Getting the following errors on hotsync from teallock, anyone ever see this?

-- Backup
    -- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database with Creator ID 0x70737973 to file C:\Program Files\Palm\JMasTr\Backup\TealLock_6_xx_Allowed_Apps.PDB. The file contained database with Creator ID 0x546c4c6b data.
    -- Backing up TealLock_6.xx_Allowed_Apps to C:\Program Files\Palm\JMasTr\Backup\TealLock_6_xx_Allowed_Apps.PDB
    -- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database with Creator ID 0x70737973 to file C:\Program Files\Palm\JMasTr\Backup\TealLock_6_xx_Log.PDB. The file contained database with Creator ID 0x546c4c6b data.
    -- Backing up TealLock_6.xx_Log to C:\Program Files\Palm\JMasTr\Backup\TealLock_6_xx_Log.PDB
    -- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database with Creator ID 0x70737973 to file C:\Program Files\Palm\JMasTr\Backup\TealLock_6_xx_Alarmed_Apps.PDB. The file contained database with Creator ID 0x546c4c6b data.
    -- Backing up TealLock_6.xx_Alarmed_Apps to C:\Program Files\Palm\JMasTr\Backup\TealLock_6_xx_Alarmed_Apps.PDB
    -- Backing up TealLock_6.xx_Owner_Text to C:\Program Files\Palm\JMasTr\Backup\TealLock_6_xx_Owner_Text.PDB
    -- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database with Creator ID 0x70737973 to file C:\Program Files\Palm\JMasTr\Backup\TealLock_6_xx_Protect_Apps.PDB. The file contained database with Creator ID 0x546c4c6b data.
    -- Backing up TealLock_6.xx_Protect_Apps to C:\Program Files\Palm\JMasTr\Backup\TealLock_6_xx_Protect_Apps.PDB
    -- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database with Creator ID 0x70737973 to file C:\Program Files\Palm\JMasTr\Backup\TealLock_6_xx_Prefs.PDB. The file contained database with Creator ID 0x546c4c6b data.
    -- Backing up TealLock_6.xx_Prefs to C:\Program Files\Palm\JMasTr\Backup\TealLock_6_xx_Prefs.PDB
    -- Backing up PhoneCallDB to C:\Program Files\Palm\JMasTr\Backup\PhoneCallDB.PDB
    -- Backing up Blazer Cookies to C:\Program Files\Palm\JMasTr\Backup\Blazer_Cookies.PDB
    -- Backing up psysLaunchDB to C:\Program Files\Palm\JMasTr\Backup\psysLaunchDB.PDB
    -- Backing up Saved Preferences to C:\Program Files\Palm\JMasTr\Backup\Saved_Preferences.PRC
    -- Backing up Queries to C:\Program Files\Palm\JMasTr\Backup\Queries.PDB

8. benjie

benjie New Member

Nope, never had any problems probably why. Are any of the listed applications/files protected on your device? Their support is quick to answer.

As for the launcher button concerns, that may be a function of your launcher. I use ZLauncher and on the first screen there is a limited number of applications shown. I have to go to other tabs to get to the remaining applications.

Ben

9. jreagles16

jreagles16 New Member

or you could use obfuscuse its free and in the download section.

10. Stillrockin

Stillrockin Smart Phone Idiot

That won't work for what he is wanting to do . . It only hides icons in ROM. Things that he has installed in RAM can't be hidden by Obfuscate.

11. shortyrock

shortyrock New Member

After fooling around with zlauncher I see that I can password protect certain tabs as they are called in zlauncher, so what I did was move all the applications I want to protect into category's other than main, then lock all the tabs including the ALL tab or category, now only the things that are in the Main category are visible, everything else is password protected and the icons can't even be viewed. Ideally I would like these things to be hidden and not have a password box popup letting everyone know there is something there that is protected, but it works anyway.

12. shortyrock

shortyrock New Member

After fooling around EVEN MORE.....I see I can hide whatever tabs or categories I want so they don't show at all, and if you use the menu option to pull down the options to "show hidden tabs", they are still password protected, so between zlauncher hiding the choices, and teallock passwording the apps, this seems like a pretty bulletproof setup for the casual snooper. Thanks all, now off to search for accesories for this thing!

ShortyRock

13. benjie

benjie New Member

A friendly reminder, try before buying and give that try a good run. I also use ZLauncher, TealLock 6 and Blue Pill - a very good combination.

Do you have a device based backup program? If not, you need one. Anyway, good luck!

Ben

14. ChefLionfoot

ChefLionfoot New Member

I have been trying without much luck to find Blue Pill. Where do i get it?

15. benjie

benjie New Member

16. shortyrock

shortyrock New Member

I am using backupman on trial right now, seems ok, others have recomended it, you have a personal favorite Ben?

17. Kreth

Kreth Moderator

I'll jump in and recommend BackupBuddy. It's the oldest backup app for PalmOS.

18. Stillrockin

Stillrockin Smart Phone Idiot

Although I have actually only had to use it once, mark up another vote for Back up buddy! Its worked great for me!

19. benjie

benjie New Member

If you want support, stay away from BackupManager - the developer has no intention of supporting the restoration of Java files. Because of that, I use Resco Backup for device based backups and BackupBuddy Pro for device to desktop.

20. ChefLionfoot

ChefLionfoot New Member

I highly recommend Backupbuddy.net. I recently was away on a trip and lost all my data. I was glad that I was able to restore all my data over the air away from my computer.